Sunday, January 24, 2010

Are your reaching for your potential in 2010?


Did you know that January is "National Reaching Your Potential" month?

Well, it is. Apparently, there were so few of us feel as though we had actually reached this elusive state of being, someone had to declare an entire month in order to celebrate those insighful (or lucky) few individuals or organizations, who accomplishing this mysterious feat. Our handy Amazon search turned up at least 67 books to assist me on my quest.

How do you know if you are, or are not, reaching your potential? How is the intangible realm of "potential" measured? Honestly, until a few years ago, I did not even feel I had the right to think I had potential. At the ripe old age of 30, I felt as if I awakened from a very deep (though not restful) sleep. Then I spent ten more years, remembering who I am.

Only in the last few years have I considered that perhaps there's even more to the story that I never even dreamed of. I've heard people say "too bad youth is wasted on the young." Finally, I get that quip. My full passion is budding, and I have to wonder if I am half way through my life. I feel a strength, reserve power and vision that I could never have handled gracefully in my 20's. But my 40's, that seems to be something else.

Years ago, I discovered meditation and visualization. Kelly Howell at Brain Sync has some great CD's to help remove blocks, fears and that helped opened my mind to feel worthy of thinking out of the box. Titles like, "Retrieve Your Destiny," "Faith," and "Fulfill Your Hearts Desire" have gently cracked opened the gates to helping me find my full Potential Self. And books like "The Dark Side of the Light Chaser" and "You Can heal Your Life" have helped me learn to love myself, and not just the shiney, sparkly perfect pieces either.

Teaching classes, writing a book, continuing my education, raising responsible (and joyful) young adults, tending a marriage and increasing my circle of close friends...all seem manageable, and in fact necessary. I now know my "potential" does not have a salary cap or a glass ceiling. Now, the really good stuff is appearing. Life is full of substance, rich and colorful, and my "potential" is finally showing itself. What about you ladies? Have you taken stock in yourself, daring to look sqarely at the potential of your gifts? Please, I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment