Sunday, November 28, 2010

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…stress!

xmasstress

“…everywhere we go…”  Well, if you’re reading this, you’ve already got at least one item of your list of things to be grateful for.  You lived to see another holiday season.  I could do the usual sappy “what are you thankful for this year” post.  But, I’m sure you’ve already beat over the head enough by that wet noodle. 

Let’s face it.  Life is tough right now…stressful, expensive and at times ALMOST unbearable.  Truth is, if you are still sucking in precious oxygen, you must still be here for a reason.  I might dare even say a very important reason.  A wise mentor of mine once asked me “What if the most important reason God wakes you up everyday is for you to shine Light on your own little corner of the world?”  Hmmm, that’s it?  Shine my little light?  No podium?  No platform?  No book deals or speaking engagements?  Just “shine my light?”  Sounds a little abstract and New-Agey, but I’ve learned over the last decade to savor and enjoy doing just exactly that. 

When looked at from that perspective, all the other silly-season accoutrements seem, well, silly.  When I look around at my life today, I already have everything I could ever really wish for this holiday.  My beautiful healthy kids, a (mostly) thoughtful loving hubby, a (mostly) sound mind and body and a new washer and dryer (thanks to Santa’s helpers) all complete my sense of well-being and give that “all is right with the world” satisfaction…for today.  Has it always been (or will it always be) enough?  Probably not. 

But the fact is, I have no room in my personal space to lament the bills, the cool gadgets I can’t afford to buy, the ticking time bomb that is my 12 year old car ready to fall apart, looming (potentially bad) report cards from those boys of mine and possible lay-offs and mean supervisors at work.  I love keeping stress at bay and maintaining a relaxed, calm clear aura. Like Jamie Lee Curtis in her article for Huffington post, gratitude and positivity are a big part of my daily diet. My daily goals and practices?  Pray, meditate, laugh (loudly and often), eat delicious food, plan for the worst and proceed as if life is ALREADY the very best…that’s all.  Have a great week, and happy first-day-of Advent! 

MiChelle Jeneen  ~Energy Skills Educator

No comments:

Post a Comment